I Knead You Sticky Buns
- 1½ tablespoons dry yeast
- ¾ cup scalded milk (click here to learn how to scald milk)
- ¼ cup warm water
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup honey
- 1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups dates
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in scalded milk and warm water. Let stand until foamy—about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the butter, honey, lemon juice, and eggs until well combined.
- Add the whole wheat flour and stir together until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out onto a floured surface. Slowly knead in the last ½ cup of all-purpose flour. Return back to the bowl.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
- While dough is rising, prepare filling.
- Heat milk and brown sugar in a small saucepan until brown sugar is dissolved.
- In a food processor, blend together all of the ingredients for the filling (except the pecans) to form a caramel.
- Once the dough has risen, roll out into a large rectangle on a floured surface.
- Spread half of the filling out over the dough. (If you’re having trouble spreading the filling, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to get to the right consistency.)
- Tightly roll the rectangle, starting with the long edge. Pinch the edges to create a seal.
- Cut the dough into 16 rolls.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pour remaining caramel into the a greased 9×13” pan.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans onto the pan, then add the rolls.
- Cover, then let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Invert the pan, then serve them warm.
|NUTRITIONAL INFO||PER SERVING|
|Calories||340 (90 from fat)|
|Carbohydrate||64g (7g dietary fiber, 37g sugar)|
WARNING: This post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. iFit assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.